Are you hoping to get some candid wedding photos as a unique way to preserve your wedding story?
It can be a difficult task for some wedding photographers to capture these beautiful memories for you to cherish forever.
In this blog post, we will discuss best practices for candid photo ideas, examples of these images, and how they can be used as part of your overall photography strategy at your wedding.
Table of Contents
- What Is Candid Wedding Photography?
- What Parts of a Wedding Are Ideal for Candid Wedding Photos?
- What Makes Wedding Candids So Beautiful?
- How to Capture Perfect Candid Wedding Photos: 4 Tips
- What if Candid Wedding Photography Is Not Your Style?
- Julian Ribinik Photography: Capturing Your Story With Candid Wedding Photography Like None Other
What Is Candid Wedding Photography?
Candid wedding photography is a type of wedding photo that’s designed to capture the true emotions and moments of your special day.
So what are candid photos?
- Not posed or staged shots
- Authentic moments that are captured
- Shots that are reactions to real-life events happening
- Photos that are not trying too hard to pose for the camera
But this doesn’t mean it’s all about capturing those embarrassing moments—candids can also be beautiful because they showcase raw emotion in ways other types of images cannot.
What Parts of a Wedding Are Ideal for Candid Wedding Photos?
One of the most important aspects of any wedding is capturing all of the memories in photographs.
While posed shots are great, wedding photography candid shots can really capture the essence of the day.
If you’re looking for ideas, here are a few suggested spots that are perfect for this type of photography:
- Bride and groom getting ready
- Family members and bridal party arriving at the venue
- Guests waiting in line to enter the ceremony
- Wedding ceremony taking place
- Bride and groom exchanging vows and rings in front of the officiant
- Bride entering the church or synagogue with her father on her arm
- Close-ups of each guest’s face during the ceremony
- Couple kissing after they are pronounced husband and wife
Many other unedited moments show an authentic side to your friends or family members as you get married.
You will want an experienced and creative wedding photographer to ensure those once-in-a-lifetime moments are not lost.
Contact Julian Ribinik Weddings to request a consultation today.
What Makes Wedding Candids So Beautiful?
You might think that the photographer is the one who is responsible for capturing these amazing moments, but the truth is it’s really you.
The more you can forget about posing for pictures and just enjoy your day, you can be confident that your wedding candids will turn out beautifully.
Candid wedding photos capture more than just your memories. They involve …
- Energy and movement
- Spontaneity and the unexpected
- Relationships; and
… all of which are moments that will never happen again at the same time and place.
Are you interested in what contributes to good candid wedding photos?
Keep reading to learn more about some great examples of how to use this type of photography.
Candid wedding photos capture a lot more than just a hint of emotion, too.
While they might not be the only type you want from your photographer, wedding photography candid shots can resonate with your guests much more than posed or staged shots.
They show real personality and emotions in all their raw glory.
Some other candid wedding photography examples may include:
- Laughing with abandon at the reception
- Poignant goodbyes after the wedding festivities
- The first dance full of love and happiness
- A father tearfully walking his daughter down the aisle
As a result, these candid moments can range from crying to laughing to contemplative to playful—just like life. This is what makes them so beautiful and timeless.
Candid wedding photography is not just about capturing the emotions of the day, but also the romance.
Some of the best candid wedding photography happens during the first look when the bride and groom see each other for the first time that day.
Aside from this, there are a variety of other romantic moments that can be captured, such as:
- The bride and groom sharing a private moment on the dance floor
- The couple stealing away for some intimate time together during or after dinner
- The first kiss as husband and wife, which is usually deemed too intimate to capture with traditional posed shots
It’s important to have candid wedding photos because they can help to tell the complete story of your wedding.
You will want your candid photos to capture all of the love and emotion that surrounds you on your big day.
Energy and Movement
Candid wedding photography is all about capturing the once-in-a-lifetime moments that happen on your wedding day.
This means that you can expect to see a lot of energy and movement in the images.
From the bride and groom walking down the aisle to guests laughing and enjoying themselves, candid wedding photos are full of life.
Some other examples include:
- The wind blowing the bride’s veil
- The energy of guests dancing at the reception
- The tossing of the bride’s bouquet
- Flower girls and ring bearers running around, playing games, or getting ready for their big moment in front of everyone
- Parents and grandparents coming down the aisle to be seated
One of the best things about this type of photography is that it captures the energy of the day.
Spontaneity and the Unexpected
If you’re looking for moments that show your wedding in a dynamic and interesting way, then candid photography is for you.
Candid wedding photos capture the unscripted and spontaneous moments on your big day, like …
- The bride and groom laughing together
- A guest giving a funny toast
- Parents dancing with their children
- The best man and maid of honor goofing around
- Little children mesmerized or asleep during the wedding
These are the moments that make your wedding unique, and you’ll be glad you have them captured in photos.
You can expect to see a lot of spontaneity and the unexpected in candid wedding photos.
Candid wedding photography is about capturing the real personalities of your day.
These types of photos are the best way to capture a full range of emotions:
Candid wedding photos can highlight the different personalities of the bridal party and family.
They allow for a more personal experience while providing a glimpse into the sentimentality and love that surrounds you both on your wedding day.
Candid wedding photos are a way of documenting what happened and what was felt on your wedding day.
They are not just a series of posed shots that you would see in a traditional wedding album.
Some ways to ensure that your wedding story is portrayed through candid photos include the following shots:
- The bride and groom getting ready for the wedding day
- Details like the dress, shoes, flowers, rings, etc.
- Guests arriving and being seated
- The ceremony itself
- Reception festivities that include food, drinks, dancing, toasts, etc.
- Ending with the departure of the bride and groom
You can most likely envision how reviewing these photos later will bring so much joy to your heart.
This is why they are so popular with couples who want to remember their day in a more authentic way.
If you’re looking for photos that tell the complete story of your wedding, then candid photography is the way to go.
How to Capture Perfect Candid Wedding Photos: 4 Tips
If you’re like most people, you want your wedding photos to be beautiful and timeless.
However, capturing perfect candid wedding photos can be tricky.
If you’re not careful, your loved ones may look stiff or posed in their photos.
Luckily, there are a few simple tips that can help you capture natural and beautiful candid wedding photos.
#1: Find the Right Photographer
Finding a photographer to capture your special day is an important decision.
An experienced and creative individual will give you the best wedding photos, so find someone who gets people emotionally invested in their work.
A meeting before hiring helps ensure compatibility between both parties by showing mutual interest through communication.
Things to discuss in your meeting with a wedding photographer may include:
- Letting them know what you would like captured on your wedding day
- Getting to share how you want your wedding day to feel
- Discussing options like posing and if you’re interested in having any traditional shots
- Detailing what kind of album or prints you would like after the wedding
It’s important to be as clear as possible with your photographer so that there are no surprises on or after the big day.
It may also be helpful to create a timeline of the day’s events for your photographer.
An experienced wedding photographer can help you to do this, too.
Whether you create it alone or with the help of the photographer, a timeline of the day helps everyone to be prepared for what’s happening and you can relax and enjoy your day
Julian Ribinik Photography is a professional and creative company that specializes in candid wedding photos who can help you create a photography plan for your big day.
#2: Have Fun
It can be difficult to relax and have fun when you know that someone is photographing you. But if you can forget about the photographer, you’ll be much more natural.
Your loved ones will also feel more at ease and will be more likely to smile and laugh candidly.
Try not to take things too seriously and just enjoy your time with family and friends.
The photographer will capture the moments that are most natural and beautiful that way.
Staying relaxed throughout the process will ensure natural and beautiful photos, free of stiff or posed shots.
If you’re feeling tense or uncomfortable, it will show in your photos.
Take a deep breath, have fun, and enjoy.
It’s also helpful to take a break during the reception and have some candid shots taken then, too.
#4: Feel Free to Express Your Emotion
Capturing the emotions of your wedding day is one of the main reasons why candid wedding photography is so popular.
When you’re free to express your emotions, you end up with some truly amazing and authentic photos.
An experienced and talented photographer, like Julian Ribinik, will be able to capture these moments beautifully, creating memories that will last a lifetime.
What if Candid Wedding Photography Is Not Your Style?
If you’re not sure if this is the right style for you, don’t worry.
We can help by capturing your special day through both traditional and candid wedding photo ideas to create a variety of images.
You’ll be able to choose which ones you like best down the line when selecting prints for framing or albums for display.
Julian Ribinik Photography: Capturing Your Story With Candid Wedding Photography Like None Other
Finding a wedding photographer who captures your story can be difficult.
At Julian Ribinik Photography, we differentiate ourselves from other photographers because we can focus on capturing the real emotions and candid moments of your day.
And if candid photos aren’t really your thing, we’ve got some tips on how you can still incorporate them into your own style.
Our goal: To create images that will make you feel like you’re reliving the day over again when looking back at them years later.
Whether you want more classic portraits with less posing or something more modern, consider Julian Ribinik Weddings for your special day.