Photography is an art.
It calls for a good eye, understanding of lighting, and plenty of technical know-how.
But just like with any other art form, not every wedding photographer has that creative, artistic touch.
If you’re getting ready to tie the knot, you’re probably not interested in having everyday cookie-cutter wedding photos.
That’s why we’ve assembled the top ideas for creative wedding photography.
Our innovative tips will help ensure you get creative wedding photos that are outside-the-box, unique, and far removed from your standard run-of-the-mill wedding memories.
Table of Contents
- The Key to Creative Wedding Photos Is Being Unique
- Treat Each Couple as a Rare Piece of Art
- Avoid Using Photography Templates
- Edit With a Purpose
- 9 Creative Wedding Photography Ideas
- Julian Ribinik Photography: Creating Visual Wedding Memories That Are as Unique as Each Couple
The Key to Creative Wedding Photos Is Being Unique
Each couple is unique — and the photography of each wedding should be equally unique.
Choose a wedding photographer who can capture your distinctive:
- Personality as a couple
- Wedding theme
- Style of celebration; and
You want photography that tells your personalized story — not repeat someone else’s.
Treat Each Couple as a Rare Piece of Art
The goal at the end of the day is to capture a treasured album of wedding photos that will be enjoyed over and over again throughout the years — not stuffed in a drawer and forgotten.
That’s why each couple should be considered a rare piece of art that’s comprised of different:
- Lighting; and
Throw predictability aside!
The bride should be able to look at her photos and say, “Wow! I didn’t expect that!” Or, “I had no idea that was happening!”
Avoid Using Photography Templates
One size does not fit all when it comes to wedding photography.
No two weddings are the same, and no two photography jobs should be, either.
Creative wedding photography doesn’t rely on templates. It’s not a cookie-cutter process that results in photos that look the same as your best friend’s wedding.
Be sure your wedding photographer has the creative know-how to capture your wedding’s individual style and personality.
Edit With a Purpose
Just like you don’t want wedding photos that rely on templates, you also don’t want edits that are templates or presets.
Edits should help to emphasize the different aspects of your wedding, such as highlighting:
- Your dark, moody wedding theme
- Your exquisite greenery; or
- Anything else that is special to the bride and groom
For professional results, even the tiniest edit should be done individually, by hand, and according to the style of your particular day.
At Julian Ribinik Photography, we focus on capturing unique and creative wedding photos.
We take pride in reinventing ourselves every time we do a wedding — photographing each special day from its own unique standpoint to show off your individuality.
9 Creative Wedding Photography Ideas
Some photos can’t be planned — they just happen.
And a great wedding photographer knows how to watch out for those unique moments and capture them for posterity.
When it comes to creative, alternative wedding photography ideas, you’ll want to choose a photographer with:
- Know-how; and
- An artistic eye
Julian Ribinik Photography is all this and more. Julian and Evegnia’s years of working side by side have given them a sixth sense of what it takes to produce breathtaking, unique wedding photos. Contact them today to request a consultation.
#1: Pay Attention to the Details
Walt Disney was right. “It’s all in the details.“
A great wedding photographer will be able to keep their eyes peeled to capture the most discreet wedding details, including things like:
- The bride’s generations-old pearl necklace
- The groom’s funky socks; and
- The intricacies of the rings
#2: Accentuate the Lighting
Consider taking advantage of the natural lighting.
A wedding can provide a variety of fun options for unique lighting, such as:
- The light streaming through a window
- Twinkle lights
- Candlelight; or
- A beautiful sunset
And be sure to pay attention to the direction of the light to make sure the final result will be just what you’re hoping for.
#3: Alter Your Perspective
Many times, wedding photos are taken from the front, looking straight-on. But there are so many other amazing perspectives for creative wedding photography!
Think outside the box and take photos from varied and unique vantage points, such as:
- Looking down from a staircase or balcony
- The floor, looking up; or
- From a side angle
Of course, this will have to be done with extra care to avoid being a distraction during a ceremony.
#4: Use Objects as Frames
Is the wedding venue graced with a grand staircase or regal columns?
How about especially stunning floral arrangements?
Take advantage of the aesthetics and use these objects to frame the main subjects.
#5: Watch the Kids
Kids do the darndest things. And it seems like they are always doing funny (or not-so-funny) things at weddings.
Be sure to snap a photo of the:
- Flower girl who takes one step then dumps her entire basket of petals
- Ring bearer, who obviously needs a nap and sits down on the job
- Little cousin who would really rather be anywhere else
And don’t hesitate to capture a little one who’s trying to photobomb a memory.
Catching those moments in photos will be extra special to the bride and groom, who will likely miss out on seeing the kids’ shenanigans in real-time.
#6: Capture Emotions
This is where real photography experience comes in — knowing when to watch for emotions in order to catch them on film, such as:
- The nervous bride as she waits to enter the ceremony
- The groom’s face as his bride comes down the aisle
- The mother-of-the-bride or groom as she watches the ceremony
- The father-of-the-bride as his “little girl” says “I do”
- Siblings of the bride and groom
- The bride and her best friend
- Friends and family celebrating at the reception
- The couple’s first dance
#7: Highlight the Location
Location is everything.
And you chose your wedding location for a reason — so show it off.
Whether your wedding is indoors or outdoors, there will be plenty of photo opportunities to highlight the location, such as:
- Architectural design
- Sentimental details; or
This is especially true if your wedding is happening in a popular location.
At Julian Ribinik Wedding Photography, we specialize in taking unique, luxury photos at popular NYC destinations and landmarks, like:
- Central Park
- The Brooklyn Bridge
- A subway station
- The rustic cobblestone streets of DUMBO
- Times Square
- City hall
- Saint Patrick’s Cathedral
- The MET
- Grand Central Station
And our extensive experience in photographing New York City weddings means we know all the special nuances, such as:
- How to obtain the necessary permits
- The best times of the day for avoiding traffic; and
- How to achieve just the right lighting
#8: Record Special Moments
Don’t forget to capture those special wedding moments, including:
- Getting ready (dressing, makeup, and hair)
- Crazy antics of bridesmaids and groomsmen
- The groom’s first look at the bride
- The father walking the bride down the aisle
- The couple’s first kiss
- Reception speeches
- Cutting the cake; and
- The father/daughter dance
- Important cultural moments
#9: Keep an Eye on the Family and Guests
Of course, the bride and groom are the center of the day, but it’s also important to get creative with photos of the guests and family.
- Does the bride have a favorite cousin she grew up with?
- Maybe the groom and his grandpa have a special relationship.
- Or how about the siblings that are reunited for the special event?
Each of these is a moment that shouldn’t be missed!
Julian Ribinik Photography: Creating Visual Wedding Memories That Are as Unique as Each Couple
At Julian Ribinik Photography, our goal is to showcase your wedding as the distinctive and unique event it truly is.
We view every wedding as a new piece of art.
That’s why we don’t follow a wedding template — choosing instead to focus on the details that set every couple apart.
We value communication throughout the process and get to know each couple to understand exactly what they are hoping for in their wedding memories.
If you are looking for a creative wedding photographer in NYC, look no further than Julian Ribinik Wedding Photography.
With our years of experience in creative wedding photography — and an eye for the unique — we have just what it takes to make your wildest NYC wedding photoshoot dreams come true.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation.